Updating name on social security card

If the individual has a single name, see RM 10205.130B for instructions on entering the name shown on the immigration document in the “Other name used by number holder” field.If the required documents show clearly different names, do not accept the evidence to process the SSN application.The legal name is the name used to sign legal documents, deeds, or contracts.We do not consider the middle name or suffix part of the legal name.NOTE: The Numident will not display hyphens or apostrophes when entered in any of the name fields in the Enumeration system.A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

After the naturalization ceremony, you should update your social security card to reflect your full-fledged citizenship.The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.Standing under the Stars and Stripes, repeating the words "I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic" is the conclusion of a long, arduous journey to becoming an American citizen.Whether the middle name or suffix is included, omitted or incorrectly shown on evidentiary documents submitted with an SS-5 (Application for a Social Security number Card) does not matter.NOTE: Both the middle name and suffix, even if not part of the legal name by SSA’s definition, should be used to resolve situations where the identity of the applicant or number holder is in question.

Leave a Reply